With all these great cake blogs, I decided I had to hold my own. Murphy needed a new bike, so I volunteered my services, especially since I can't ride bikes right now.
With the help of a friend, I gave this old Schwinn a sweet makeover. It's a vintage Schwinn Le Tour, built in either 1979 or 1980 in Schwinn's Chicago plant. It was a last ditch bid by Schwinn to compete with the Asian imports. They sold a fair number of these bikes, but ultimatly Schwinn closed it's Chicago plant and sold its branding to importers. Pannasonic was already making a lot of Schwinns by this point, so it's cool to find a Chigaco bike.
I found the bike at a non-profit used bike warehouse in North Kansas City. It had no rust and very few scratches. The biggest problem was all the old hardware weighing it down. The lugged steel frame is quite nice once you get some modern parts on it. I turned it into a singlespeed and lightened it up a bunch.



3 comments:
It's good to see a blog from you again. I missed the old days and am glad they are back.
Kris I agree with Dad. We like your blog so good to see you writing again. Love Mom
And it is prettymuch the fastest, sweetest bike in all the world. I owe it to you guys.
Post a Comment