
Max has always loved to swim. He's been basically a fish for a long time. I had him take a couple of rounds of swimming lessons at the Y when we lived in Providence. Those were basically a joke. They started with about 100 floaties on, and then if the kids were wimpy the teachers would let them put even more floaties on. I think all they did in those classes that was worth anything was blow bubbles into the water and kick.
Anyway, it turned me off swimming lessons.
But when Sandy was born I realized that I was going to need Max to be a solid swimmer if we were going to go swimming in the summertime with just Max Sand and I. So I got him into some private swimming lessons at the beginning of the summer, and it's been amazing. The teacher is the nicest old retired guy. He's jolly and kind, but not afraid to push and ask a lot.

Max went from refusing to even try to roll on his back to floating on his back quite well. He's also doing the backstroke along with freestyle strokes, the butterfly and all sorts of other things that I haven't a clue what they're called.

I just have these pictures because the other day Kris asked me to bring my camera and take some video so that he could see how Max is doing, since the lessons are always during work hours. I felt like a dope, dragging my huge camera to document every little thing my kid was doing, but as always the photos made up for it. They're just so fun to have!
And my mother would be interested to know, these are straight out of the camera. I really should probably have lightened them up a bit, but I think they're pretty great.


Hopefully Max can continue to improve, and most importantly continue to love swimming and it can be something he can enjoy doing for a long long time. We're proud of our little fish!



2 comments:
The shots are, in your father's words, exquisite. They really are. They are so crisp, and the camera handles the subtleties of the light with such finesse - I am blown away - and envious. You have captured also character, and I can - looking at the images - hear the tiny sounds of the water.
Wow.
I'm sayin wow to the guy teaching Max! Such great shape for a guy his age. Bravo!
Post a Comment