Thursday, February 26, 2009

::pinatas are cool::

20090209-20090209-IMG_9252
Every year on my birthday growing up my parents would get a pinata for us to smash. It was truly awesome. I posted a few old pictures of it last year on my birthday.
It was a fabulous tradition, and our best friends down the street, the Williams would always join us. I can't think of a year that they weren't there.

So, my mom had a brilliant idea. She planned a mini pinata party for when I was in town, and invited the Williams! And since all of us who used to be the kids have kids now, they were the ones smacking the pinata around. It was awesome.

The Mercado Latino in Provo came through for us with a cool rainbow pinata. They had so many different kinds there I had a hard time choosing.
We smashed it in my parents (recording) studio, which is also traditional, since the 31st of Jan isn't usually the best weather.
My mom got all the big kids blindfolded, turned them around and then set them free.
20090209-20090209-IMG_9258

20090209-20090209-IMG_9260

20090209-20090209-IMG_9256

The littler ones were kind of nervous and unsure.
20090209-20090209-IMG_9262
But with a little reassurance and parental aid they went for it too.
20090209-20090209-IMG_9268
And had fun.
20090209-20090209-IMG_9264
A group of cuter kids I haven't seen. Honestly.
The pinata beating was fun to watch. Although I was really worried I was going to get hit in the head with something--a big stick, a rainbow, a kid. It didn't happen, thank goodness, although one of the valiant beaters did get a splinter. But luckily he was brave and it was removed.
20090209-20090209-IMG_9272
Finally I gave the pinata a quick unobtrusive rip and opened it up and bit, and the oldest strongest kid was able to send the treats flying!
Everybody did a good job gathering and sharing around.
20090209-20090209-IMG_9280
and enjoying the spoils.
20090209-20090209-IMG_9284
And afterwards we got to enjoy big pieces of Costco birthday cake.  What could be better?  I even got a big huge yellow rose from Megan since it was my birthday (sort of--like two weeks before).  Awesome.
It was so fun to get to do this, thanks Mom! And it was just great to get to see Joel & Beth and their kids and Megan and Mags. It's been way too long (besides the meetings and greetings in cyberspace of course.)

And if you want to see more fun photos of the event and hear more about it go here to my mom's blog!

7 comments:

K said...

It was a great party, a wonderful party, even if the dark green car got lost and subsequently sat upon, and Asher had to share - which he did with grace. It was just like old times, actually. And interestingly, proved to me that the old times were as good as I'd remembered them being. We miss you so much. Kiss the Frazz for me.

Megan said...

Fun it was. Thanks for the memories (the old ones and the new).

And you didn't even eat that rose... and it was for your birthday gin. next year I'm going to order a cake for your birthday that is just frosting roses...no cake.

love ya.

Dave said...

Pinatas are so cool. I've decided to start making my own so they are kid smash friendly.

How cool of your mom to set that up.

Pinatas FTW!!!11!

{Erica} said...

what a cool tradition to carry on. Sweet pics!

Amanda D said...

Sounds like fun! How many kids does Joel have? Megan's daughter is darling.

Lorena said...

You are filling Max's life with great memories! Good for you:-)

Bree Biesinger Despain said...

I know I'm totally late (like 7 1/2 years late) but I'll say it anyway, "Happy Birthday!!"

And I love all of your photos on the blog. I wish I had your talent.