Tuesday, February 03, 2009

::on a wintry day::

20090203-20090203-IMG_9051
On a cold wintry snowy blustery day like today we need something filling, yummy and comforting for dinner.
Like this:
20090203-20090203-IMG_9061
Grilled cheese sandwiches (made as healthy as possible by using wheat bread--my dad's recipe--shredded light cheese and just a touch of butter spread)
and this:
20090203-20090203-IMG_9067
Tomato and roasted red pepper soup (trader joe's). Mmmmm, this stuff is seriously scrumptious. And good for you. It's my alltime favorite soup (behind my mom's broccoli soup).
We like to dip our sandwiches in the soup and feel our bellies with warm deliciousness. I think right now this is one of my favorite meals. Uncomplicated and delicous.
I'm glad we live in this day and age when we're not limited to only eating foods that are in season right where we live. I know it's best to eat what's in season, but I'm sure glad that somebody in California can grow some delicious (pink) oranges and send them out east here for me to eat because I love them!
20090203-20090203-IMG_9063
Max kept me company in the kitchen while I got stuff ready. The way he deals with the fact that I don't let him play video games all day is by reading the little books that come along in the cases. Then he asks me all sorts of strange questions about what they say and why. Anyway that's what he's doing here.
20090203-20090203-IMG_9065
Anybody out there in blogland have a favorite winter dinner?

8 comments:

K said...

Aside from the dinner you just described (my mom used to make the grilled cheese with Velveta) and my Broccoli soup, let's see. Hmmmm. I do like a really good roast and potatoes with gravy. But nope. Nothing I like better than what you just showed me. I have made spinach pies twice now, and I'm going to post the "recipe" soon. Maybe we can like those too.

but all of this would be better with you at the table.

Anonymous said...

I'm also a big fan of grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. Also good is stew with bread. And spaghetti is a bit of a family favorite as well.

your sandwiches look scrumptious

see you soon

Dad

Megan said...

Soup. Soup. Any kind of Soup!

Marilyn said...

Yum, yum, yum!! Looks delicious. We actually had grilled cheese today, too! We made them with thin (deli) turkey and gouda cheese and spinach---really good. (I love grilled cheese plain, but I also love the way the turkey rounds it out and makes it heartier. And then you tuck the fresh spinach leaves in after you grill it. Mmm.)

And, I always hear about how great Trader Joe's is. I think I went there once in Seattle. I wish we had one here.

Rachel said...

And here I thought it was just my kids that read those dumb books that come in the video cases. That's funny.

What you just made my dear....bout says it all. That is an all time favorite I'd guess in pretty much any house hold come winter. Winter and fall to me say fresh home made breads and soups. No matter how you slice it, dice it, slurp it. Tis thee best.

Dave said...

chicken and dumplings

carie said...

1. Guy's wheat bread recipe that I have doesn't work for me any more. I don't know if something is spoiled, like the vital gluten, but the bread is always WAY to dense and doesn't rise. I am branching out trying new recipes.
2. Did they get a Trader Joes in Providence?
3. I love chili.

Lechelle said...

Kelly loves cheese sandwiches with tomato soup, I think it is weird.