Thursday, February 05, 2009

Max On Call


(This is a favor for Ginna since she's out of town and can't post tonight)
I'm on call right now. It usually isn't too bad, but it can be sucky. Of course, Max is on call too. He often takes my pager and I'll find it clipped on his pants, in his bed or somewhere else in his room. Since I actually have to hear the pager and answer when it rings I can't let him play with it when I'm on call, which really bums Max out. Fortunately, he found an old travel alarm clock that belongs to Ginna and started pretending that it was his pager. It fits in his coat pocket and has a big display with the time on it similar to the display on my real pager. It even lights up in the dark, which he loves.

Saturday was Ginna's birthday and I wanted to take her shopping at the mall. The pager had been ringing like crazy all morning. I figured that meant it was less likely to ring and we'd be alright shopping.
Great foreshadow right? As soon as we got to the mall my pager rang. I wasn't very happy about it. Especially because I had to go to the hospital right away for a (pointless in my opinion) consultation. I told Ginna to hurry and try a few things on then we'd leave for the hospital. While Ginna was in the dressing room, Max and I sat along the wall and played games on the cell phone.
Suddenly, something started beeping. It sounded like a pager, but it wasn't mine. Max heard it, turned to me and said "not again!" I couldn't tell what was happening. Something that sounded like a pager was ringing right near us, but it wasn't my pager. It had to be Max. I started digging in his pockets and found his "pager" ringing. His eyes lit up so big. "It's MY PAGER!"
Max then proceeded to take the cell phone and pretend call the hospital. He is crazy. I guess the alarm was set for that time in the afternoon, but we had no idea. What's better than pretending something and then having it come to life?

Anyway, Max is often on call. He has a plastic gorilla mouth that uses playdoh teeth. He frequently gets call to fix gorilla teeth. He even has a plastic instrument kit to use. I'm sure Ginna posted some pictures of it previously. Maybe she'll find them and link them.
And thanks to my mom, who made Max some scrubs to wear when he is on call, because he looked really goofy in my scrub shirts.

8 comments:

K said...

Well, considering this began as your blog and you lost it to the Gin, I'd say you did really, really well with this post. You made me laugh - which is always appreciated - and you made me feel very present, ditto. Sorry you can't be out here now. But I know you enjoy your work, and I'm so proud of you. I hear you don't work on gorillas though.

Anonymous said...

It looks like you have a budding medical professional on your hands. Keep up the role model

Love you guys

Dad

Anonymous said...

That is such a cute story about Max's pager and what a great birthday present idea for Ginna, shopping! I will be asking for that on my next birthday ...minus the call of course.

Dave said...

that's pretty cute. I love the things kids come up with. :-D

Lisa said...

Max is awesome. I love this story...and yeah, that is pretty cool that his "pager" went off...you couldn't have planned that better if you'd tried.

Ginna said...

Wow, what adorable cute boys, and I love the story. Max actually brought the pager with us on our trip. So luckily there won't be any gorillas with tooth problems neglected.
I did find the photos and link to them!!

Kathy said...

Yes a great story. I did find Max's pager in his coat pocket at the airport while I was hanging out with him and Ginna was collecting the luggage. I thought it was a little strange until Ginna filled me in. It is funny that is actually went off on him. How exciting. No wonder he didn't dare leave it home. Good Post Kris and we can't wait for you to come. Love you.

Kristen Wilde said...

Ha ha! Good story. Kids really like to do grown-up things, don't they? Jaydon is really into using brooms and buckets these days.