But one of the burners started creating a lot of smoke the other day. Enough that when I was cooking our breakfast oatmeal the fire alarm went off. It was beeping and yelling "FIRE! FIRE!" and so Max started screaming, and didn't stop until I climbed on a stool and pulled the dumb alarm down on my head.
So that wasn't very cool. I thought maybe the smoke was coming from a noodle or two I had dropped down there, but suddenly we started getting some weird ashy smoky looking marks around the burner. I couldn't really get them to come off too well.
I figured it was about time to try to clean the dang thing. Yuck.
And look what I found in the bowl of the burner when I took it all apart.

Where did this disgusting gross weird old corroded thing come from? You can't tell, but it's like three inches long. So weird! It's like a creepy stake that came out of some vampire's heart or something.
And how long has it been there?
Anyway, that creeped me out a bit. There's been less smoke since that thing has been gone.
Today Max and I drove out to Target. It's not really that far away, but it feels like it is. It's in Massachusetts and you have to drive over like 5 rivers to get there. Anyway, I've been meaning to go for quite a while, but between work, Max's school and being a one car family it hasn't worked out.
Kris had to work late today, and we had the car so Max and I set off this afternoon. Of course hitting bad traffic on the way there, so it took three times as long as it should've.
We shopped. Max did his best to distract me the whole time. He's good at claiming he needs to go to the bathroom as soon as I get a cart full of stuff. It drives me crazy. He held it today.
I got everything I needed and went to pay. I realized I didn't have my wallet in my purse. I was sure I'd left it at home because I'd been using it there earlier. The lady told me I could write a check. So I did, while telling her that my wallet was at home, with my ID. She took the check and then asked for my ID. ARRGH. No ID. So I had to leave all the stuff there at the cash register and walk out empty handed.
Max was so confused--I don't blame him. I felt pretty confused myself. He kept asking me really embarrassing questions really loud. Like "WHY COULDN'T WE BUY OUR STUFF? DO WE HAVE NO MORE MONEY? WHY COULDN'T YOU PAY!?!"
Then we drove home. And when I pulled into our driveway I looked at the passenger seat and there was my wallet. In the car. The whole time.
Max thought that was pretty goofy. I guess we'll just have to go back in a couple of weeks and get all our stuff again.
What a silly (and annoying) day.



18 comments:
Yeah, well that happened to me at the grocery store one day, one of those three stores I'd been shopping in for over two decades? And I had to leave the cart in their big hidden refrigerator and then drive home to get money and go back again. Also, at the wonder bread store, where I had shopped for twenty five years - no ID. Wouldn't take my check without it? Like, were they afraid I was going to fade away to South America or something? They practically knew me by name. So that was the last time I went there EVER.
At least you weren't with me yelling, "HEY MOM, ARE WE SECRETLY INDIGENT? BANKRUPT? DO WE LOOK LIKE WE"VE CHANGED INTO CRIMINALS????"
And by the way, that's a nail. I think. Maybe dating back to the revolution. I found nails that were six inches long in my old pasture, and I KNOW they were made by blacksmiths in 1870. Maybe it fell out of the ceiling.
I laughed helplessly through this whole post--all the while feeling guilty for finding it all so darn funny. I want to come visit you!
Money is so outdated anyway. They should be attaching our bank accounts to a retinal scan or something. You NEVER leave your retinas at home or in the car.
We had a similar story happen two weeks ago.
Our coil burner lit on fire inside our oven. Then when it cooled it broke in half. We haven't had an oven for two weeks. They are fixing it tomorrow (yes!).
What day are you going to WDW again?
Okay, like Bryce said, we haven't had an oven. So lame. Leslie has been so nice and fed us many times in the past two weeks. But I have to admit, the only thing I really miss is being able to eat my chocolate chip cookies. Oh, they're to die for.
But I have to say that the worst part about this post is that Target is in another state! I can't even stand it being 10 minutes (instead of 3 minutes) away!
But really, strange nail things and wallets in the wrong place are one of the worst things that could really happen, I'm positive.
oh dear. i'm a little afraid of when Maggie gets into the embarrassing question phase. Now she's in the "answer every question with the word 'cuz'" phase. Its adorable. "Go upstairs? why? cuz?" good luck in your future target journey. that is so frustrating!!!
I have felt your Target pain. Maybe that is why we chose our new house to be ONE BLOCK from Target? I now have the joy of walking there whenever I want. :)
I would always go to the Target in North Attleboro. It is about the same distance as Seakonk but I thought it was quicker because of less traffic.
Yep, it's definitely a nail. Our house was built in 1900, and when we were putting in a bathroom upstairs, we pulled out nail after nail that looked just like that.
I think thats my nightmare, to be ready to pay with a ton of stuff, with a ton of people behind me, and then realize I don't have my wallet. I'm so sorry that happened to you. How completely irritating.
I thought this kind of stuff only happened to me. Thanks for the reassurance.
That happened to me once too and even at Target! I had them leave everything in the cart, drove 25 minutes home, got my wallet, and drove 25 minutes back. I was NOT going to do all that shopping again with 4 kids in tow. What a pain.
That's a square nail. My grandmother's house had tons of them. But now the house is a pile of board on the ground. The town was abandoned after a the second fire. We visited it... and took MANY square nails. I think that is the reason the house is flattened now. They do still make them, but I can't remember what they use them for. They were featured in a FHE assignment board project in a ward.
Oh man, I hate it when that stuff happens! All the same, I miss Target and wish mine wasn't an hour and half drive.
Well I know that my child will never say anything embarising or make me forget anything ever... I don't know where you are coming form here.
(wink wink nod nod, Say no more, say no more)
That nail looks like it needs to find its way to the Antiques Roadshow, or at least it needs to be stapled to a barn door somewhere next to a rusty shovel.
You have no idea how many times I have done stuff like that. I think with every child I have I loose more brain cells...
Oooh, I've had that happen. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Will this make you feel better if I tell you a nasty grocery shopping experience I had? When I was pregnant with Trevor, Brennan and I went grocery shopping. We needed groceries. We had NO food. We were at Food 4 Less in Provo by Movies 8. I was walking along loading my cart when all of a sudden the baby kicked and this feeling hit and I knew I was in big trouble. I had the runs and run it ran. I was wearing white pants of course. I was mortified. I had a cart full of groceries. Had to have those groceries so I walked to the cash register nearly in tears not looking left or right, anyone in the eye, head down. Payed for our groceries and made our way to the car. Loaded the car with groceries and then headed over to ShopKo where I tried to hide behind racks of clothes as I bought a new outfit and underwear. Still mortified I walked to the register, paid, and then went into the restroom and cleaned myself up the best I could. On the way home I stopped at Brian's work. I walked into his office, closed the door, and then burst into a river of tears and upheavel. I NEVER went back to that grocery store EVER again. :o)
Wow, I haven't looked at the blog lately and you have had a busy life. That is weird to have a nail in your burner. What a strange finding. I am glad you found it though so you could get rid of it and maybe the smoke.
The target story brought back lots of memories. Who hasn't had that happen to them at least once if not twice. The worst part is all the hassle in going back. What a pain. I am sorry you have to do that. Poor Max, He was probably completely confused.
Ken is excited to read his new book. Thanks for sending it. Also I will try and get Kris jacket done. I think I will just bring it with me when I come. I can't wait.
Post a Comment