Friday, September 12, 2008

::day trip to boston::

Last saturday was really rainy. This was a big bummer because Kris and I had both come up with things we wanted to do for the day that involved being outdoors. He wanted to go to the beach (which of course Max and I are always up for) and I wanted to go to one of the farms in the area and pick raspberries. I still want to do that. I hope it happens sometime soon.

So, because of the rain we had to scrap our plans and come up with something else. And it needed to be fun.

We decided to head up to Beantown (boston--I don't know why they call it that) to check out the scene. So far we'd only been up to the town in MA where the IKEA is. Not exactly Boston.

We went to an outdoor downtown mall type area first. We wanted to go into the H&M there and hopefully finish out Max's fall/winter wardrobe. Kris remembered it from when he had dental school interviews out there. It was a great H&M. Big and nice with tons of stuff.

The view from the streets there was cool.
Boston 1

boston 3
It was a cool area of town. Hard to find parking, but fun to walk around in.
It felt kind of new and old at the same time. Like the buildings in the above pictures look pretty new and nice--or at least very well upkept. But the brick streets where we were made me remember how long the city has been around.
boston 2
And I'm sure these bricks aren't even near as old as the city really is.

We were favorably impressed with Boston. Kris and I both felt like it was a super cool city. Given, we didn't spend a ton of time there, but it just seemed more livable than most of NYC, and very cool.

After the shopping we went across the street to McDonalds to get Max a yummy ice cream cone, since we were trying to have fun.
He, true to form, got a brain freeze. I always feel bad for him when he gets them, but at the same time it's just so funny and cute.
boston brainfreeze 1
See?
boston brainfreeze 2
It didn't slow him down for long.

After the brain freeze we set out to find the Berklee School of Music. Kris and I both kind of wish we would've gotten to go there. But I'm sure we would've been eaten alive.
The area near the school was neat. Lots of cool buildings and it looked like a lot of fun stuff probably went on there.

There's supposed to be a really cool China town area in Boston, and we didn't get to go check it out, but I'm pretty sure we were close because I was able to take this picture from the car.
boston 4
Gorgeous, isn't it?

After the driving tour we set the GPS to take us out to one of the suburby type areas so we could go to Five Guys Burgers. Yum. (Unfortunately for us, this location is the closest one to our house. Well, probably fortunately for our health!)
The GPS had us take the most ridiculous way there. It took forever and we felt a little bit like Michael Scott driving into the lake.
But we finally got there and the burgers made it all worthwhile.

Then we called it a day.

Boston is cool.
boston 5
See?

10 comments:

carie said...

When you were walking along Boylston street, checking out Berkeley, did you see Prudential Dental Associates? That is my old work. I rode the T there every day.

K said...

Boston Baked Beans.

Thus?

Bean Town

Could have called it bread town for Boston Brown Bread.

Go figure.

Megan said...

What adventures! And as always beautiful pictures.Max is so lucky to have his life documented like this, cute brain freezes and all.

Melissa Abby said...

You should do the freedom trail, it takes you all over. Max in the stroller would probably be a good idea though :)

Dixie said...

What a fun life you have!
That Max is a cutie...

Anonymous said...

Ginna and Kris

Thanks for taking the time to let us share your life with you .

Love you all

Dad

Rachel said...

I love old buildings and the brick streets.......those are cool!

Sparklebot said...

Ginna, I'd love to have you contribute on my new blog. Send me your email address so I can invite you. My address is smashgfunk at gmail

Marilyn said...

Fun! I've heard of that 5 guys burgers. Maybe from you? But never been there.

I LOVE picking raspberries. Even when I was little and didn't like eating them, I liked picking them. They are the cutest berry. Just look at them. Little round balls. CUTE! Blackberries, on the other hand: good to eat, but _dangerous_ to pick.

Leslie said...

If his thumb isn't too dirty, have him put it on the roof of his mouth. It shortens the brain freeze. OR drink lukewarm water. But the thumb is faster. If you are getting a migraine, put some cold water on the roof of your mouth. It stems the nausea. But I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV even.