Tuesday, September 02, 2008

::yesterday::

So I know I got everybody excited about Cape Cod and all, but in the spirit of first things not first, I'm going to tell you about what we did yesterday.

We were supposed to be camping, but that didn't work out. So Kris and I tried to sleep in yesterday morning. Of course that didn't work out. Max was up and raring to go quite early.

So we got up and Kris went for a nice long run. Like seven miles or something. Crazy. Then we went and ran a thousand errands. We went grocery shopping and toilet paper shopping and to the hardware store. Exciting stuff.

We did buy Max some fun shoes at Target. They're cute and he really likes them. He seems to have either destroyed or grown out of every other shoe he owns.
20080901-IMG_6844.JPG

After the errands we started in on the projects.
We picked out some of my photos for the wall behind the sofa, and they finally came last week. So Kris hung them up for me.
20080901-IMG_6822.JPG
He can't keep his tongue in his mouth while he's working.
20080901-IMG_6824.JPG
Unless his mouth is full of nails I guess.

The prints turned out gorgeous and I love the way the wall looks now. It's just another one of the small projects that's making us feel like we're finally all the way moved in.
20080901-IMG_6826.JPG
Please ignore the yucky painted over hook and yucky painted over light switch. There's not much I can do about those right now. Oh yeah, and the yucky hole in the wall. We don't have any patch paint and evidently this was a "custom color."

Then Kris got to work on the blackboard he was making for the kitchen wall. So we could write notes and important to-do lists and stuff.
20080901-IMG_6829.JPG
He did a good job. Here he is spraying on the blackboard paint stuff.
20080901-IMG_6827.JPG
Do you like the spray paint rainbows and all the crud flying around in the air?

The chalk board turned out great. We love it. We had to wait 24 hrs to write on it which was this afternoon. It works great!
20080901-IMG_6839.JPG
Isn't he cute?
20080901-IMG_6832-2.jpg
Aren't they cute?
20080901-IMG_6833-2.jpg
I have trouble taking photos in the kitchen, they all turn out super super orange. Some I can't even fix with photoshop. So that's why you're getting some fun black and white action here.

While he was working on the blackboard I worked on my recipe binder.
20080901-IMG_6840.JPG
I have a lot of recipes that I've printed off from different places over the last while, and no way to organize them. I finally put them all together and I feel very official now.

We finished off the day by trying to make our own version of Planet Sub's barbque brisket sandwich (Yuuuuuuuuuum). Kris put them together.
Here they are before he gave them a little toasting in the oven.
20080901-IMG_6842.JPG
And after.
20080901-IMG_6843.JPG
They were so so good. And even Max who always takes hours to eat his dinner snarfed his up in a second. Though they weren't exactly like the P Sub sandwiches, they were as close as we're going to get for a long time.

It was a good day.

13 comments:

Annie said...

That was a seriously productive day!! The wall looks awesome and I LOVE the black board in the kitchen!! I want to do something like that in our house. It's a great idea!! Also, I'm going to need to know how you made those subs b/c they look fantastic! I can see cheese and bacon...but i can't make out the rest. =)

Denae said...

Oh Ginny, those prints are gorgeous. I have some great ones that are film and are too grainy to blow up from Cancun, I am not getting back there any time soon. you are inspiring me to be creative and take some pictures of the everyday beauty all around us.

I also love the chalk board and those subs make me hungry!

Glad things are going so well for you

Kathy said...

Wow I am impressed by all that industriousness. I think maybe it was a good thing the camping didn't work out. Look at all the stuff that would not have got done.

The pictures look great and the chalkboard is fun too. I bet Max will be the most prolific at writing on it.

Tiffany said...

Lots the pics, love the chalk board, loved this post! :)

carie said...

WEIRD! We too went to target to get shoes for Eliot yesterday. I actually had that EXACT pair on his feet ready to check out, until I decided to run to Payless (next to Target) and found some shoes that would work for both church and play.
I would love your BBQ sandwich recipe. Oh and I am glad you finally got those recipes organized. I just spend the last two hours organizing (and archiving) our filing cabinet.

Anonymous said...

The chalkboard is a great idea. It doesn't seem too long ago that we took down the chalkboard here at the house---I guess it was when we redid the kitchen and painted that wall. The subs look great and all the photos are fun. As usual, I love your narrative style.
Love to you all
Dad

Laura said...

They make chalkboard PAINT?
Woah...mental earthquake...

Those sandwiches look scrumptious. Mmmm, cheese. :)

Rachel said...

Ooooh YUM! Those sandwiches look incredible, the chalk board photo's are great. Love em' in black and white and your wall photo's look awesome. Dang, you exhaust me. This was all in one day? My only consolation is that I did do recipe binders several years ago....of course I have a huge pile of recipes that need to go into them but let's think positive huh? :o)

K said...

Well. A good day. Like a clear red marble. So nice. I want the sandwiches. The blackboard just cries out for colored chalk, like what they use on the menu at Planet Sub. And the thought of being organized. I see all these recipes that look like I'd actually like the food, but then I realize, somebody would actually have to cook to bring them to life. So, maybe I could just save the pictures in a binder, the way I save quilt and art ideas. And then never look at them.

Where is the star hung? The floor is beautiful. Even the picture of Max's shoes is beautiful. Working on ancient black and white stuff is a little wearing, I must tell you. But I did put a saddle on my little horse today and had the satisfaction of seeing him not bothered by it.

You are too far away.

Did you get my email about the picture?

And the new one, too. I told your father - even if I'd had the gift you do, there could never have been a picture taken of me like those. You are so beautiful.

Lisa said...

Wow, you had a super productive day! I love the framed photo configuration on your wall...it's perfect. And, it's so funny too because I have been wanting to put together a binder of all these recipies I have printed off the internet and thought about doing a binder...so you've inspired me!

Amanda D said...

Isn't it funny how the days spent at home doing mundane things are some of the best? We talked about doing something grand for Labor Day but didn't, you know, we just stayed home and installed ceiling fans and played legos and read. And it was the best weekend in a while.

I'm loving your wall of pictures! Planning to do something similar here.

Melissa Abby said...

Love the picture wall, it's even better in person! And I want to know what is on those subs, they look so good! (And more important, EASY!)

Lorena said...

I can tell you guys are young, because after we would have run the errands we would have been finished for the day. You guys went on to other projects, oh to be young again! Funny thing but chalkboard paint it not sold in AZ, it's against the law. So when people from the ward would head to Utah, we would have them bring some back for our humanitarian projects. The boys look handsom, I couldn't see any of the flaws you described on your wall, and those sandwiches look great.