Saturday, March 07, 2015

::ski day::

Untitled

Kris had a boy scout campout on Friday night, but we really wanted to go skiing together on Saturday morning, so we had to work out the details.  Kris and the president decided to camp up near the ski area, and then to try to get parents to come and pick up all the boys so that I could meet Kris up at the ski area in the morning.

He took Max on the campout with him--Max always enjoys this, but he got extra cold in the middle of the night this time.  They still had fun though.

Untitled

Some of us were more excited about going up to ski than others.
The way the child care works in Santa Fe, when a kid is over 3 they have to do ski lessons for part of the day.  Sandy has had fun a couple of times doing it and not so much fun a couple of times.  Today he was convinced he WAS NOT going to have fun.  His face looked like this before he even got dropped off:

Untitled

If he didn't usually end up having a good time we wouldn't force him to go, but he does usually have tons of fun.  But, as you can see, he had a rather defeatist attitude this particular trip.



But despite all that we finally got both of the kids dropped off (Lucy was happy to go and play in the nursery), and trucked all of the ski gear up from the parking lot to the lodge.


I don't look excited I know, but I'm happy to be there.  I'm just already tired from having to drop the kids off and do all the prep.  Everything in life just takes so dang much work!

Max was losing patience with us and all our time it took to get ready, so he started to make his favorite silly faces.

Untitled

Kris doesn't really have a tummy like this, I have to point that out.  He'll probably be annoyed that I posted this picture, but besides the slouching he looks so cute!

Untitled

And off we went! (After more photos than Max could even handle)

Untitled

It was fun to spend a little time just with Max--I mean how often does that even happen?



The guys and I stuck together all morning.  I practiced and got better (I get a little better every time) and fought off their suggestions to go on harder and harder hills.

Untitled

Later I went and checked on Sandy and Lucy.  Lucy was great, Sandy of course was sad.  He didn't want to go and ski.  I had to bribe him with the offer of some videography--"I'll take a video of you that you can watch later if you will just ski!!!"



He actually looks pretty good, but I think he just doesn't enjoy the group setting.  There were a lot of kids on this particular day, and it seemed like the teachers were just going around picking kids up off the ground the whole time.  I did get a video (in case you were wondering.)



The guys and I went to do one more run--up to the very top of the world!!  The view from this run is so crazy, you can see EVERYTHING.  It was a little scary for me but I made it down.

It was a fun day--somehow worth it even though it takes a lot of work to get ready and get the kids all dropped off and then to reload the car and etc.  Doesn't everything in life just take more work than it should?

1 comment:

K said...

This kind of thing is what I was thinking of when I finally started realizing that I no longer actually knew what "fun" meant. I think my first understanding of the word came from totally spontaneous wonderful/interesting/exciting things happening to me that were TOTALLY FREE. After I was seventeen, none of those seemed to happen any more. Even in Paris, when I was 14, I worried over my tiny vacation budget all the time. I think I probably looked like Sandy a lot. I'd rather look like LUCY.