Tuesday, December 24, 2013

::christmas eve part 1::

As I've probably mentioned many times before on this blog, Christmas Eve is one of my favorite holidays. In fact, it may be my most favorite. Max asked me why this year and I couldn't really explain it, but I think it has something to do with the suspense and magic of Christmas before everything is all unwrapped and revealed. When I was little it used to seem like anything could happen the next day. Not so much now, but it's still a magical fun day. And now that Kris and I set our own work schedule I've been able to give him Christmas Eve off the last couple of years which has been really nice.
We always get out the penguin race set that my parents got for us sometime the week leading up to Christmas. They are so cute, but the squeaky sounds they make require us to ration their use. Anyway, this time we actually waited until Christmas Eve and pulled them out. The boys were very happy to play with them, and only fought over them a little....or a medium.
Sandy really loved them. He may or may not have even remembered playing with them before.
IMG_8187
Captain Hook came out to join the party and kept calling the penguins things like "scurvy swabs" and "codfish"
IMG_8188
IMG_8189
IMG_8193
In the morning Kris went out and did a few manly things outside, like cleaning out more of the garage and cutting down a humongous cactus. I did a little more wrapping and some of that kind of thing. I was helping Max wrap a present and in the process cut the sleeve of the jacket I was wearing with the scissors--not sure how that happened--so I got to do a little mending too.
IMG_8195
We facetimed with my mom and dad for a while, and with Kris's mom. It was fun to do that before actual Christmas because we actually had time to talk and play around, Christmas is just way too busy.
The most delicious thing we did that morning though, was work on our traditional Christmas sugar cookies--yes these are the same puffy and yummy cookies it seems like we make every holiday, but they are dang good and they deserve to be repeated.
IMG_8199
The above picture is Sandy, being delighted that I had given him a peanut butter cup cookie. "For me??! A COOOOOKie?" He was hugging it to his chin and loving it. Cute little cheeseball.
IMG_8200
Here's the cookie making. So, looking at these two clowns, do you think they helped make the process easier for me or tougher? How helpful do you think they _really_ are?
IMG_8203
They were supposed to be the decorating crew. I finally had to call Kris in as my backup because I couldn't keep an eye on the sprinkles and finish the cookies at the same time. Every time I looked away there was some sort of spill or overdecorating disaster. Sandy took the job very seriously though and worked hard--as hard as a 3 yr old can, with all the messes that come along with it.
IMG_8204
These cookies' sprinkle levels all look good because they were heavily policed. There were others that looked like they were growing hair or something, they had such heavy sprinkle layers.
IMG_8205
IMG_8206
The green penguin is definitely on the edge of being one of those. And yes, if you think the cookies look yummy, that's because they ARE.
IMG_8208
When we got the cookies all done we packed up our entourage and headed out for a late lunch. That's where I'll pick up the story for part 2.


3 comments:

K said...

I love being there for this. I love those faces, and the colors, and Kris cutting down the cactus. I felt like Christmas Eve as I read it - in a way that I didn't feel myself this year. Too many loose ends - too much stuff to hustle over. But the night before Christmas eve, I could hardly sleep because I was excited. Anyway, I love, love, love reading this and seeing these shots.

Grampa Guy said...

And I can't wait for part 2!

Wish I had a cookie

Marilyn said...

I feel the exact same way about Christmas Eve. It's way better than Christmas! Christmas means it's all over and I always end that day kind of depressed. I need to find a way to get over that. :)